Tim & Nancy's Adventures

Monday, May 12, 2008

Hope that Springs Eternal

Hope that Springs Eternal

Every year, first Saturday in May, in Louisville Kentucky the Run for the Roses occurs. Every year that I have a foal born on the farm or, as this year, a yearling gaining power and speed with every blade of grass he eats, I dream of the Kentucky Derby.

It is an unrealistic dream, usually dashed by the time a horse of mine is two years old and started out in training. A trainer once told me about one of my better two-year-old horses, Joe Benign, “He’ll win. I’m not sure at what level, but he’ll win.” It was encouraging news, except that we both knew at what level he wouldn’t win.

It is an unrealistic dream, yet remains MY dream. And as the filly Eight Belles met tragedy this year, so too have some of my animals. Last year, my filly, Lady Marguerite suffered a severe colic attack the morning of her first scheduled start. Two days later, I had to make the decision to ‘put her down’. The sadness was almost enough for me to discontinue thoroughbreds. Now though, looking out at Hai as he tests his muscle against his 31-year-old mentor and pasture mate, the hope still springs eternal.

Nancy says about my thoroughbred habit, “It’s throwing money out the window.” It is. I agree. My horses have earned over $75,000 in purse money over the years, but I’ve had to spend a great deal more than that to get ‘em there. Yet, I can’t think of a better way to spend that money. It is what I want to do. She, of course, can think of better, more practical, ways. So we compromise.

She does indicate that she would like one day to go to the Preakness or the Kentucky Derby or one of the other ‘Big Hat’ races. I tell her not until one of my horses is good enough - at least, good enough to run in a race on the under card.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home