Tim & Nancy's Adventures

Monday, March 24, 2008

The Walnut Project

The Walnut Project – Crescatorii de Nuci

Last week I made a return trip to Transylvania. As some of you may recall, in my volunteer work with the Organic Farmers Association of Romania – Bioterra – I became aware of both the deficiencies and the opportunities of agriculture in that country. I hit upon a project that I became convinced was of such merit that as my Peace Corps days were winding down, much of my energy went into this idea.

Simply put, the plan is to couple investors and landowners in a joint effort to plant, grow and harvest Carpathian Walnuts (some people call them English Walnuts). The more I researched this theory, the more it made sense to me. Basically, the plan is to group the landowners who have little access to capitol, but have suitable land and labor together with investors with a long-term outlook – like 10 to 50 years – in a mutually beneficial program to redevelop Walnut orchards in suitable areas of Transylvania.

The first problem I found was chicken and egg; which came first, finding committed investors, purchase of the trees or contracting with the landowners. It became clear to me that this program had sufficient merit in at least three areas, social, environmental and fiscal. I could not let go of it, so Nancy and I became the investors, the trees were ordered, and landowners were spoken too. Regional managers, a key to the success of the project, were identified and signed on.

It is not easy setting up a business in a foreign country, and the trials of trying to co-ordinate the start up from back in Virginia have been many. Last week’s trip was do or die. The trees had been paid for and were awaiting transport to the land, the business accounting and bank account were not functioning as envisioned and the landowners were without contracts and were waiting for their ‘signing’ incentives.

Now I can report that my trip was a success. Crescatorii de Nuci, S.R.L., which translates as Walnut Growers, now has bright prospects. We’ve signed contracts for over 25 hectares (56 acres) of land for between 30 and 60 years. The trees are to be delivered and planted this week. The banking is going forward and additional trees will be held over for more acreage to be planted in the fall.

Individual farmers and the Unitarian Church in the village of Magyarsoros have accepted the plan. The pictures I’ve included are of the elders of the Unitarian Church and the land around the village prior to planting the trees. The original business plan that I created calls for a total grow out of 300 hectares, so there is plenty of room for expansion. Should we have a successful first planting I am sure that additional farmers will take advantage of this program.

I remain excited about this program and if anyone has questions, comments or interest in joining the project, please let me know. We are looking for groups and individuals to join us as either participant landowners or as investors.

2 Comments:

At March 24, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Blogger Sid Leavitt said...

Way to go, Tim and Nancy. And good luck with that planting.

 
At April 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Tim,
Sorry I didn't know you were in country. It would had been nice to catch up on life in the US. Maybe next time. Glad to see that your project did not die and you were able to come back. Putting those language skills to good use in life after PC.
Hrisos a venit!!!
Jenny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home