Tim & Nancy's Adventures

Monday, February 25, 2008

The Weaver’s Bench

When I was a child I would answer the question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” by declaring that I dreamed of being an artist. I wasn’t planning on being a policeman or a fireman or doctor; I wanted to grow up to be an artist. I had heard none of my contemporaries say that, so it made me a little nervous to proclaim, but it also set me apart.

As I grew, I also kept that dream of creativity. However, the goal kept running into the twin obstacles of a lack of talent and unwillingness to practice. Music and drawing both were disappointments, as my fingers couldn’t manage what my mind intended. I thought of being a chef, an artist with food, but that would have been a disaster due to my weakness at organization -- the main dish would have been ready before the vegetables were even started.

Instead of art, I have found a craft. It is weaving. Twenty-eight years ago Nancy found a weaver willing to give me a crash course, so for Christmas of that year her present sent me into temporary apprenticeship to Marietta Crider of Mauzy for a few hours each week. I learned some of the techniques of matching warp and weft, of maintaining a good selvedge, of threading the loom and tying knots. At some point of imagined wealth in those early years of our marriage I purchased a large floor loom and ever since, when I’ve been able to steal an hour away from all the duties of adulthood, I’ve sat at the loom and created.

I enjoy working with textiles, various materials from around the world. The last creation I did included soy thread and bamboo in the warp and wool from the Shetland Islands and Tunisia in the weft. The two completed pieces were a table runner for my cousin Nora who has sheltered Nancy during the start of her work experience in Washington, D.C. and a scarf for Cami, a friend from Romania who began married life last week. It took nearly six months to finish these two pieces, working a stolen hour at a time, and that’s not counting the chore of warping the loom.

Occasionally, I will donate a piece to a charity auction, but I don’t sell my output anymore. The pleasure for me is in the creation and the challenge of matching pattern to finished product – turning what is in the mind’s eye into a piece that can be worn, or displayed. Like my attempts at drawing and painting, what is in the mind’s eye and the finished product are often very different, but in this craft, what turns out is usually quite serviceable. Those few that aren’t sit in the extra bedroom here at the house.

2 Comments:

At February 25, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Blogger Sid Leavitt said...

Beautiful work. Thanks.

 
At November 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Blogger sherrycousin said...

I remember my cousin Timmy. He officiated at some of my company's soft ball games. Quiet, assured, polite, and always right, even when he called me OUT!
As a kid, visiting Aunt Edith and Uncle Joeby from NJ, Timmy was rarely around. Always into things that interested him, yet nice to my younger sister and I, and not even when he was instructed to entertain us. He was just a nice BOY, which was rare in our experiences with boys in our home neighborhood. For some reason, his black shoes fascinated my sister and I, they just looked so neat-we hid them to try them on and he almost got in trouble bec he couldn't find them when we were all going to the store. Uncle Joeby wanted to GO and we ran the shoes out to the car. Later, back at the house, after dinner, there were two bags in our room. A similar pair of black shoes for each of us girls. I wonder if it was not so much the appearance of the shoes, well worn, scuffed, tough looking, but the person who walked in them that we idolized.
His mother would often comment that he'd find his own way, live his life his way, not what was expected of him. I always thought he had things harder than his brothers, of expectations for future endeavors. My sisters and I all liked Timmy for the person he was already meant to be. Peace Corps material, creative, artistic, fair/just, a contagious smiler when he was happy, because it was genuine, from his heart.
I can see now how right Aunt Edith was about her wonderful son, seems he's on his own path to fulfilling his own expectations and potential.
Timmy, your mother said you'd be a great man one day and as children, we believed her, and we all still do. You have dipped your hand and talents into many arenas and wherever you have been, wherever you go, people will never forget this man named Tim.
God Bless You in all your endeavors, in all you seek.
Sherry, your cuzin, who wore her black shoes until the soles literally peeled off from running in the fields, hiking up and down mountain trails, wading in streams and ponds. Yup, I wore them ALL the time, even to school--which did not please my teacher until I told her my teacher aunt bought them for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home