Tim & Nancy's Adventures

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Teaching English

Teaching Class


I have started offering my skills as a ‘native English speaker’ to a dozen or more children that gather at the Luna de Sus Baptist church two afternoons a week. These kids range in age from 6 to 14 and their skill level in English varies with their ages. Last week we decided to divide the class into two groups with the older children separated from the younger ones. The attached picture is of the younger group.

These kids are ethnic Hungarians, and some of the younger have not yet learned the mandatory Romanian that is taught in their schools. I do not know Hungarian but when necessary, the older students will translate my rough Romanian into Hungarian, but mostly we speak English. Or I speak English and they listen. They repeat after me, although, how much sinks in, I’m not sure.

This is a summer school with the accent on having fun. There is not much to do in Luna during the summer, so I think my students, at least so far, enjoy coming so as to break the monotony of their August days. We’ve done very basic things so far, as I’ve tried to feel out the level of English of the older students and most of the learning has come through game playing. We’ve been working on Bingo and word scramble and next week I’ll try Simon’s Says. Simon Says will be a good one, especially for the younger group, if I can teach them the rules.

There are fourteen students, two boys and a dozen girls, although more show up each class. I tried to limit the class to ten, but then I thought I was going to teach adults, but that’s the way it goes here in Romania. As long as the students are happy to come, I’m happy to teach them.

Last class I had help from my niece Georgiana and her husband Mathew. That is them in the background of the picture. It was a big help to have them as one of the lessons we worked on was “Hello, my name is ….” The kids got a lot of practice between Matt and Georgi and Nancy and myself.

Our visitors were on their delayed honeymoon and we enjoyed their short stay in Cluj. It was pleasant to have them and we are looking forward to our next guests due in September.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home